Monday, July 9, 2012

The Speech


"We would like to say a few words of thanks." Dad began
"First to Haymitch. You are truly the reason any of us are here today, you saved me and Peeta and gave Panem and a chance. Thank You." Mom had tears in her eyes as Haymitch rushed up to hug her.
"Yes thank you. Especially for putting down the wine." Dad laughed.
"Second of all to Effie. Her promptness and manners really kept me in line during and after the Games. I love you Effie girl!" Effie was laughing and crying at the same time as Dad continued,
"I never thought I would become so close to the woman who pretty much sentenced me to death! Thank you Effie!"
"A special thanks to Annie. You are truly amazing. You raised Reef and Rue all by yourself, and you more than anyone understand what the Rebellion meant to us..." Mom wiped her eyes,
"Finnick would be so proud of you." Dad said putting his arm around Mom. Annie was lightly sobbing into Rue shoulder.
"Beetee, you genius. You are are honestly the best person ever. You blew out that force field and designed the weapons that won Panem her freedom. Thank you, I can't think of a better person to be Finch's godfather." A lone tear rolled down Dad's cheek.
"To everyone who can't be here today... We know your looking down on us... Prim. Rue. Finnick. Mags. Wiress. Peeta's family. My father. The countless children who gave their lives in the Games."
I felt tears running down my face as I looked around the room at everyone I knew and loved. I never knew Prim or Finnick or Wiress, but I know they gave their lives so I could live in a Panem free of fear. A Panem free of the Hunger Games. A free Panem.
I don't believe in ghost, but I swear I could feel the presence of our lost loved ones in that room at that moment.
"Thank you all. I know I've cause you all so much suffering and pain, and for that I'm truly sorry. But I believe that everyone who gave their lives for a free Panem knew what they were doing. They died so our children could worry about homework and not about being thrown in a death arena. They gave their lives so we could sit here today. They gave their lives so we would never have to live that horror that we lived. And for that we thank them."
Mom raised her fingers to her lips and then held three of them out.
Everyone in the room copied her.
We all knew what it meant.
It meant saying goodbye.
It meant saying goodbye those you love.
But now it also meant something else.
It means...
We.
Are.
Free.

5 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD. How awesome that must have been to be there feel the emotions of all those people to feel the presence of Finnick and Rue and Prim. To see all the people with there three fingers held up! You have very good words to describe how this must have been. Finch you and your family are incredibley awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and how did you get the picture thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Aimeebob! You are even more incredibly awesome :D
      I looked up Mockingjay Pin on Fire and just dragged the picture into my post.

      Delete
  3. I've awarded you! Here's the link:
    http://katiesdollworld.blogspot.com/2012/07/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW!!! Thanks Finch!!!

    ReplyDelete