Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hunger Games Memorial Feast Part 3


"Five minutes till launch." A automated female voice sounded throughout the quiet room, where we sat awaiting our signal to enter the Feast Room. I noticed Mom had gone rigid beside me.
"Who do they think they are! Using the voice from the Launch Rooms" Dad shook his head, wrapping his arm around Mom.
"The what?" Cinna looked confused as he played with the collar of his red suit sleeves.
"Before you entered the arena, you got dressed in a place called a Launch Room. And every few minutes that voice would remind you how much longer until the Games started." Mom explained.
"One minute to launch. Tributes, please place yourselves on the elevated platform."
We all walk a short distance to a metal platform which immediately began to rise. Suddenly a blinding white light shone in my face and I could barely make out that we were at the top of a series of stairs.
"Give it up for... Cinna!" Cinna began to walk down the steps to the screams of adoring fangirls.
"Finch!" I put on my best smile and waved to the paparazzi camera's before joining Cinna at the Mellark/Odair table.
"Peeta!" The crowd gave a cheer of delight as Dad descended the stairs.
"Block your ears!" Dad told Cinna and me, as he slid into the seat next to Rue (who was sitting across from me).
"Why..."
"Aaaaand Katniss!" Cinna and I shoved our fingers in ours ears just in time, because at that second a earth shattered roar filled the hall. It caused the elegant dinner china and silverware to rattle. A huge spotlight shone on Mom as she glided down the staircase, looking absolutely stunning in a fiery red dress adorned with jewels. I had no idea Mom was so popular with these Capitol people! Didn't they hate her because she stopped the Hunger Games? 'No." I thought savagely 'they love her cause she's got spirit'
"You okay?" Niall (who sat on my right, Helena was on my left) asked looking concerned. Rue kicked me under the table, and when I glanced at her she was smirking.
"Yea, I'm fine."
"Aw the two lovebirds!" A paparazzi had managed to get past security and to our table. As he began to take pictures at a rapid pace Niall's face went red.
"Oi! Leave us alone!" He said at the purple haired man.
"Oh yea, and who's gonna make me?" The paparazzi laughed taking more pictures.
"I am." I said defiantly, getting up from my seat.
"No Finch I'll handle him." Niall hissed in my ear. Why weren't any of the adults noticing? Oh of course they choose this minute to head to the buffet.
"Young love..."
"I told you to leave her alone!" Niall shouted over the sound of music that had begun to play.
"Getting very protective of your girlfriend are you?" The man smiled flashing his camera right in my face.
"She's not my girlfriend! Now leave us alone!"
"Make me!"
BAM! The camera flew out of the paparazzi's hand and landed with a crash on a delicately pile of jellies at the buffet table. The place had gone extremely quiet.
"Now if you would kindly leave right now, I'm sure Miss Finch would be most grateful." Niall's hand was bright red from hitting the camera. The man turned on his heals and fled.
"That was amazing!" I exclaimed taking Niall's hand, I got ice from my cup (ignoring Effie's mumbles about manners) and put in on his hand. The music had started up again, and I noticed Rue was dancing with her *cough* friend David, and that almost everyone had joined them.
"Would you care to dance?" Niall asked in a mock British accent. I laughed and replied in an even faker British accent,
"but of course. Though I must warn you, I can't dance to win the Hunger Games!"
Fifteen Minutes Later
I collapsed into my chair laughing. "I told you I couldn't dance!"
"And I made the mistake of not taking you seriously!" Niall said sitting down and rubbing his foot (which I had just stepped on a billion times).
"Go ask Helena to dance! At least she won't break your foot." I waved him away, took my plate from the table, and made my way to the buffet. 
"Woah." That was the only word that could describe the buffet. Soups in every color imaginable. Bread baked in every way imaginable. Salads mixed with expensive dressings and exotic fruits. Cakes the size of small cars. And best of all, a extensive array of katniss tubers! 
My plate was filled sky high by the time I returned to the table, which of course brought I round of teasing from Johanna, "Finch, you eat like there is no tomorrow!" 
"Well if Dad keeps dancing there might not be!" I pointed at Dad doing some kind of odd Capitol dance with Effie. 
Suddenly the music stopped. I paused my rapid eating to steal a glance at the stage. I noticed that Mom and Dad were climbing the steps to it, and when they both stood in front of the microphone Mom nodded at Dad who said "We would like to take this time to say a few words of thanks..."

Stay Tuned For The Speech!

4 comments:

  1. He is just a *cough* friend!! Besides, Nial is a *GIANTLY HUGE BIG COUGH* (boy)friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE KEEPING ME ON THE EDGE OF ME SEAT HERE FINCH!!!!! This is like the best post ever!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes -sniffle- yes it does -another BIGGER sniffle- :)

    ReplyDelete